1881: The idea for a zoological garden in Prague was first proposed in 1881 in a newspaper article by Count Sweerts-Spork, on the occasion of the marriage of Crown Prince Rudolf of Austria and Princess Stéphanie of Belgium.
1931: The zoo was opened to the public on 28 September 1931.
1971: In 1971 a new pavilion opened for large mammals, including elephants, hippos and rhinos.
2013: In 2013 a large new Elephant Valley pavilion was introduced and the first elephant was born in Prague Zoo, named Sita. The calf was born to Donna who had come to Prague from Rotterdam.
Two male elephants Maximilian were named after members of the von Habsburg family, one of whom had a live elephant brought to Prague as early as 1570, and both built their own kind of zoo in Prague.
2020-06-21: The daughters of Tamara and Janita were named and Lakuna and Amalee.