Ringling Brothers and Barnum and Bailey Circus (Blue Unit), located in Venice, in United States, was founded in 1969.
Elephants owned, residing and performing with Ringling Brothers and Barnum & Bailey Circus can be found at several different locations, which have been divided up for clarification of record keeping and to give a better idea of herd identifications. They include:
- Ringling Brothers Circus (1884 - 1918)
- Barnum & Bailey Circus (1888 - 1918)
- Ringling Brothers and Barnum & Bailey Circus (1919 - 1968)
- Ringling Brothers and Barnum & Bailey Circus Blue Unit (1969 - present)
- - Ringling Brothers and Barnum & Bailey Circus Red Unit (1969 - present)
- Ringling Brothers and Barnum & Bailey Circus Gold Unit (1988 - present)
- Ringling Brothers and Barnum & Bailey Circus European Tour (1963 - 1964)
- Circus World at Polk City (1974 - 1984
- Ringling Retirement Farm at Williston (1984 - 2010)
- Ringling Brother's Center for Elephant Conservation (1995 - present)
"Carmen", "Peggy", "Gilda", "Zina", "George", "Hugo", and "Anna May".
We had a total of 22 that season.
For many years, when the Ringling show played San Diego, it would always unload the elephants, horses and lead stock at the Santa Fe siding down in Old Town. From there, it was only about a mile�s walk to the Sports Arena. These photos were all taken when the Blue Unit arrived in 1986. Since then, more tracks have been added in this area and the unloading must take place further south. (From looking at the photos, it appears that the 1986 Blue Unit elephant herd was made up of mostly full-grown adults.) Eric
Blue Show herd 1986 (In order of seniority)
1. Siam 2. India 3. Calcutta 4. Jewel 5. Lucy 6. Betty 7. Rani 8. Suzanne 9. Jenny 10. Targa 11. Kernaudi 12. Roma 13. Putsie 14. Karen 15. Carmen 16. Sophie 17. Bonnie 18. Nicole 19. Icky (Delivered calf "Juliet" 12-30-92) 20. Alana (Delivered calf "Romeo" 1-10-93) Buckles