Clyde Beatty (private) elephants, United States
"Mr. Beatty received from the Cole Show in 1938 in lieu of backwages "Mary", "Sidney" and "Anna May""
Mary, Anna May, and Sidney became Clyde Beatty´s property during the winter of 1938-39. Previous to this they were owned by the Cole Bros. Circus and came to that show in the series of purchases that transferred the elephants from the Hall farm to the Cole Show for the 1935 season. Mary and Sidney had arrived at the Hall farm in Lancaster, Mo., in a shipment of eight that entered port on the Pacific Coast in 1923. Hall had purchased Anna May and four others from Louis Ruhe in 1925. Mary died in 1950 before the Beatty Show left El Monte quarters for the opening stand of the Clyde Beatty Circus, the Clyde Beatty-season. Ann May has been with the Cole Bros. Circus, and the Sells & Grey Circus since 1944. Sidney followed the same route except that she continued with Beatty-Cole rather than making the Sells & Grey route in recent years.