Founded by Mary Grant Roberts a pioneer in the breeding of Tasmanian Devils.
1895, Mary Grant Roberts opened the Beaumaris Zoo
1921: Mary Grant Roberts died.
1923: the Hobart City Council acquired the Zoo and relocated to the Queen’s Domain.
1925: The first elephant arrived
1930: The elephant was sold
1936: The last known living Tasmanian Tiger died in captivity in Hobart Zoo on 7th September, 1936.
1937: The Zoo was closed in 1937 due to severe financial problems
1943: The land was acquired by the Royal Australian Navy.
1991: The land was reverted to the Hobart City Council
It is now a wildlife rehabilitation and education centre.