Kronberg Zoo was founded by Georg von Opel in Kï¿½nigstein, Taunus valley.
The first import of african elephants was in 1955, two males, Vauka and Conti, and the female Opeline. Vauka sired two babies with Opeline, Afrika born 1965, and the bull Afrikano 1968. Like all elephant bulls, Conti and Vauka became more and more aggressive, and they were euthanized 1971 and 1977. The female Aruba, born 1979 in Zimbabwe, was bought 1981.
Afrikano died 1981 due to wounds he got from spike nails in his stable, and Afrika died 1982, the same year as the female Toto was bought from Munich Zoo. Toto was euthanized 1992, and Opeline died during the nineties. Since then new elephants were bought, but they have not bred so far.