1834: Edward S. Eldred (1811-1850) owned and operated the American Circus in 1834. Beginning his tour in Mobile, Alabama, in January, he worked his way across the South until he reached Baltimore in October. The Gregory, Crane & Co (36) had reached the same area at the same time. There then occurred the transfer we alluded to above, in which Crane joined with Eldred while Gregory joined with the Washburn’s and two new shows were created: Crane & Eldreds Menagerie and Gregory, Washburn and Co.
1835: In 1835, the menagerie became part of The Zoological Institute.