In 1906, Vishwanath Madhuskar of Indian Bahadur Circus and Sitaram Gangaram Walawalkar of Parashuram Circus entered into a partnership and launched Madhuskar’s Royal Circus.
In the year 1920, Sitaram Walavalkar changed the name of the Circus to The Great Royal Circus. Narayan Rao Walawalkar, joined the circus as an artiste when he was a twelve year old boy. After the demise of Vishwanath Madhuskar in 1946, Narayan Rao Walavalkar became a partner of The Great Royal Circus.
The Great Royal Circus went on a world tour in October 1962. Their first stop-over was Eden in South Africa, after which the circus toured the globe extensively for around 21 years and presented shows in 24 countries.
The Great Royal Circus last owner Pratap Walavalkar died 2002-12-22 and after his death his wife Snehalatha Walavalkar along with Ajay Shankar, Ashok Shankar became partner with K.M. Sanjeev
Owned by Ajay Shankar and family, who also operate Gemini circus (defunct 2017) and Jumbo Russian Circus
2014: At least 1 female elephant
2004-05-31: performing animals certificate issued for 4 elephants
1966: 3 elephants (1 bull with tusks)
Back in the day, December 1966 to be precise, Kenyans were treated to a rare and entertaining show by The Great Royal Circus of India. The show included performing elephants, the lion and tiger act, the lion cyclist, and other performances. The show took place on the grounds now occupied by Nyayo Stadium.