E H Bostock's travelling menagerie and circus was a regular visitor to Glasgow in the latter years of the 19th century. In 1897 a permanent site, previously the New Olympia Theatre, was acquired in New City Road for what became known as the Scottish Zoo and Variety Circus. This 1899 circus programme featured acrobats, clowns and animal acts as well as a water pantomime.
The circus closed in 1902 but reopened as the Scottish Zoo and Glasgow Hippodrome. Bostock, known as "Scotland's Barnum", settled in Glasgow and became a councillor and a justice of the peace. The architect was Bertie Crewe. At various times in its existence it was used as a circus, zoo, variety theatre, skating rink, dance hall, menagerie, exhibition hall, cinema and barracks. In 1919 it was sold to the British Traction Motor Company, and became a garage.